Wilderness of Relational Difficulty
intro (read aloud before the discussion)
Often the darkest wilderness of all is the experience of running into a wall in an important relationship. In this season, many of us are experiencing relational difficulty with someone. What will lead to life in that relationship, and what will lead to death? Jesus has some insight.
SERMON DISCUSSION (Use as a guide for dialogue, let God lead, and read the verses aloud)
1. How has this pandemic season made relationships more difficult than ever before?
2. Mark 8:31. Notice the pattern. Talk about the “death to life” pattern. Talk about how Jesus has taken this strategy in his relationship with us and how it has resulted in life!
3. Mark 8:32. Why did Peter rebuke Jesus? Did Peter resist applying this pattern to his relationships? Do we resist this strategy in our relationships? Why?
4. Mark 8:33. Satan has a relationship strategy as well! In the relationship that is most difficult for you right now, what is Satan tempting you to do? Will that route lead to life?
5. Mark 8:34-35. This is brilliant and practical advice. What would it look like to practice this concept within the context of your most challenging relationship currently? What would it look like to deny self and lose to gain?
MINISTRY TIME (Invite the Spirit of God to come – “Come Holy Spirit”)
Let’s pray for wisdom specifically as it relates to “losing” in a relationship so that we might gain, and let’s ask for the power of the Spirit to walk it out this week.
SPIRITUAL FORMATION (This is a weekly practice as we seek to become more like Jesus)
Jesus sacrificed, gave up, let go, and died for us and for the redemption of our relationship with him. Ultimately, spiritual formation implementation of that same pattern in our relationships. This week, what would it look like to practice that pattern in our relationships?
daily reading (Tune into the daily “Together On Mission” podcast here and let’s start every day with Jesus)
Hebrews 12 | Psalm 6
Philippians 2 Psalm 7
Genesis 12 | Psalm 8
Psalm 1 | Psalm 9
Mark 8 Psalm 10
Catch up on daily reading or choose a passage, any passage and enjoy
Tune in for our final message in the Wilderness
Tune in for Week 7 – “The Wilderness of a Relational Difficulty”