wilderness of submission
intro (read aloud before the discussion)
When it comes to submission, we really want to get out of the wilderness FAST, but what is God doing in the midst of this wilderness of submission that will LAST? Let’s chat about the wilderness of submission.
SERMON DISCUSSION (Use as a guide for dialogue, let God lead, and read the verses aloud)
1. Read the definition of submission: “Willing obedience and respect of an authority figure that you disagree with.” Why is submission difficult for you personally?
2. Describe a time you found yourself in a situation (or relationship) in which you were called to submit? What was your response?
3. Read 1 Peter 2:13. Why would God ask us to do that? How do you think God uses submission to accomplish his purposes in us?
4. In what situation or relationship are you currently being called into submission? What would it look like to get out of the situation FAST?
5. What is God saying to you (or doing in you) as a result of this season that involves submission? What is God doing that will LAST?
MINISTRY TIME (Invite the Spirit of God to come – “Come Holy Spirit”)
Share why submission is difficult for you, and ask for prayer for strength in the midst of this wilderness season.
SPIRITUAL FORMATION (This is a weekly practice as we seek to become more like Jesus)
Read 1 Peter 2:21. Jesus willingly submitted. He entrusted himself to God even in the midst of an unjust situation. He left us an example. This week, submit in an unjust situation. Let go instead of ramping up. Notice how that response changes the situation and the relationship.
daily reading (Tune into the daily “Together On Mission” podcast here and let’s start every day with Jesus)
1 Peter 2 | Psalm 141
Judges 3 | Psalm 142
Matthew 5 | Psalm 143
Ephesians 5 | Psalm 144
Luke 1 | Psalm 145
Catch up on daily reading or chose a passage, any passage
Tune in for Week 4 “The Wilderness of Love of Enemy”