Back to the basic
intro (read aloud before the discussion)
It is so easy to hide from both God and others behind good things. We think “good things” make us presentable to God and others, but usually it creates barriers. It’s time to let those barriers fall. Let’s get over ourselves and just love Jesus. Back to the basic!
SERMON DISCUSSION (Use as a guide for dialogue, let God lead, and read the verses aloud)
1. Share about a time when you were trying hard to hide something but it was exposed. How did you feel? Frustrated, embarrassed, relieved?
2. Read Luke 18:9. Let’s start here. What are you confident about? What do you have, what have you done, how do you stand out? It’s OK to share!
3. Read Luke 18:10-12. Whatever you are most confident about has probably become the way you present yourself to God and others. Ironically, it has become a way to hide behind good things. Can you see how this may be happening in your life?
4. Read Luke 18:13. The tax collector let his walls come down, led with brokenness instead of confidence, and encountered the mercy of God! What would it look like for you to take a step in this direction with God and with others?
5. Read Luke 18:14. Approaching God and others in confidence is exhausting. Approaching God and others in brokenness is restful. Has your Christian journey been marked by exhaustion or rest? Share if you would like.
MINISTRY TIME (Invite the Spirit of God to come – “Come Holy Spirit”)
Most of us have been trying too hard with God and with others. Let go, give up, relax, and let the mercy of God rush in and bring you home. For ministry time, simply welcome God’s mercy.
SPIRITUAL FORMATION (This is a weekly practice as we seek to become more like Jesus)
This week in a conversation or relationship drop the act, stop presenting, and choose brokenness instead of confidence. Observe what that will do in the conversation or relationship. Often spiritual formation is more about letting go and giving up then holding on. The way of Jesus is always the way of brokenness, not overconfidence.
daily reading (Tune into the daily “Together On Mission” podcast here and let’s start every day with Jesus)
Luke 16 | Psalm 26
Luke 17 | Psalm 27
Luke 18 | Psalm 28
Luke 19 | Psalm 29
Luke 20 | Psalm 30
Catch up on daily reading or choose a passage, any passage and enjoy
Tune in for Week 5 – “Back to the Basic”