Back to the basic
intro (read aloud before the discussion)
It is so hard to stay centered and anchored in calling. There is a constant temptation to play to an audience of “many” instead of the audience of “one”! How do we stay centered? Luke, observing and writing about the life of Jesus, gives us his answer.
SERMON DISCUSSION (Use as a guide for dialogue, let God lead, and read the verses aloud)
1. Why do you think it is so difficult, especially in challenging seasons, to stay committed to what God is calling us to?
2. Read Luke 4:44. Jesus “kept on preaching”. What, in the midst of this season, do you feel called to keep on doing? This could be a task, a way to treat a certain person, or a change in your life.
3. Read Luke 4:42b. Look at phrases like “the people were looking for him” and “to keep him from”. What voice, person, or people or temptation is making it difficult for you to keep on doing what God has called you to do in the season?
4. Read Luke 4:43. Jesus says, “why I was sent”. Jesus had a burning “yes” which is the only way to give a firm “no”. What is your burning “yes” in this season? What must you give a clear “no” to as a result?
5. Read Luke 4:42a. Jesus played to an audience of “one” and it set him free from playing to an audience of “everyone”. What would it look like practically to begin to play to the audience of one?
MINISTRY TIME (Invite the Spirit of God to come – “Come Holy Spirit”)
During ministry time, practice a few minutes of silence and simply listen to that audience of One. Let God speak, bring clarity, and maybe bring a re-clarification of the call in this season.
SPIRITUAL FORMATION (This is a weekly practice as we seek to become more like Jesus)
This week’s passage is about solitude. Being alone with Jesus is a lost art in modern Christianity – let’s be a people that recover it. Every morning this week, relax for a short time of silence and solitude and enjoy being in the presence of the very irresistible person that Jesus revealed as his and our Father.
daily reading (Tune into the daily “Together On Mission” podcast here and let’s start every day with Jesus)
Luke 16 | Psalm 21
Luke 17 | Psalm 22
Luke 18 | Psalm 23
Luke 19 | Psalm 24
Luke 20 | Psalm 25
Catch up on daily reading or choose a passage, any passage and enjoy
Tune in for Week 4 – “Back to the Basic”